2013 Grants for Physicians in Underserved Areas
Applications are now being accepted for the 2013 Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program, with all applications due October 1, 2013.
The program was created in 2002 by a California Medical Association sponsored bill, and provides selected physicians with grants of up to $105,000 in exchange for a three-year service commitment in a Medically Underserved Area (MUA) of the state. To be eligible physicians must:
- Be an allopathic or osteopathic physician
- Be free of any contractual service obligations
- Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
- Have a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in California
- Be currently employed or have accepted employment in a Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) in California
- Commit to providing full-time direct patient care in a HPSA for a minimum of three (3) years
The application may be accessed online at www.calreach.oshpd.ca.gov
. Click here
for more information about the program, including who may apply. For help determining if your area is a MUA or HPSA, you may contact the Health Professions Education Foundation at (916) 326-3640.